Friday, December 2, 2011

Bored and Baking

When it gets dark early, I get bored easily. I also get cold as we keep the temp low, which makes me want to crawl into my blanket-cave and sleep. So, to keep the return of hibernation at bay, I'm attempting a new recipe! It's a bit modified.

Almond and Polenta Cake. As the woman who runs that site is Irish, her units are in weight. Being a silly American with a shitty kitchen scale, I had to use the power of the internet to convert to volume. My measurements are not as neat as the original, but they're useable. :-P

-- 3/4 c. (100 gr) flour
-- 5/8 c. (100 gr) fine polenta flour
-- 1/2 c. (100 gr) sugar
-- 1/2 c. (100 gr) butter, softened
-- 1 c. (100 gr) almonds, coarsely ground, not bleached
-- 1 egg yolk
-- grated zest of 1 lemon
-- pinch of salt
-- 1 small glass of grappa (or sambuca)

Preheat oven to 170C or ~350F.

Cut flour, polenta, sugar, salt and butter together (I grated frozen butter rather than work softened butter). Mix in almond meal, egg yolk (subbed in some sweetened condensed milk), zest and grappa (subbed in limoncello for zest and grappa).

Spread crumbly mixture in large pan (I used 13x9) and bake until done, ~30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment