Sunday, June 6, 2010

Food-ness



So I made an interesting dish last night based upon Indian and Mexican styles of beans and rice. (When I mentioned this to my housemate, she went, 'well, they both have lots of beans and rice!')

Beans and Rice a la 6/5/10

Soak black eyed peas overnight.

Put black eyed peas (plus more water) on the stove to boil.

Also, put rice on the stove to cook.*

In a wide and deep frying pan, heat some oil (I used olive). In a water glass, mix spices with a bit of water (I used garam masala, paprika, cinnamon, and adobo). The water is to have the spices not burn. Add the spice/water paste to the hot oil and mix.

Chop half an onion and add it to the spiced oil. Cook onions until soft, then add some diced ham. After heating ham for a minute or so, add diced tomatoes (I used half of a 28 oz can). Let this stew for a bit.

When tomatoes have stewed to your preference, add beans (strain water beforehand). Serve over rice.

* How I make rice: 2 parts water to 1 part rice. I put it in a saucepan with a tightfitting lid. Bring water to a boil, then immediately drop heat to minimum. Your rice should develop little dimples on the surface, and you'll be able to see when the water is cooked out.


Verdict: it was delicious and fairly cheap. A touch too spicy for me, but I'm a wuss. Yay for beans and rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment