Monday, April 12, 2010

"Coming Out"

So although my mother knew of my plans to farm, etc., and was a huge supporter of this idea, I had never broached the topic with my father. My dad is VERY typical, middle-class, white collar, suburban, "American Dream" -- I could go on and on, but let's just say that I did not expect a telling to go well, nor with much understanding.

Well, I was talking with my dad today about different topics, and the subject of my long term goals came up. So, my dad asked "so what are your long term goals?" I said "you're going to laugh", of which he assured me that he wouldn't. So, I said "I want to farm". Slight pause, and my dad commented that the best way to do that is to marry a farmer!

We weren't able to finish the conversation, as I was technically on the clock, but it's a start! I still am not so sure that my dad would understand a lot of my reasons behind farming (he supports troops in Iraq, as an example), but I feel that he would be supportive. This is such a HUGE weight off of my chest that I never even knew was there!

So between finding it easier and easier to tell people that this is my dream, having people UNDERSTAND it (and slightly share it!), and having my family on board... I am in a comfortable place at the moment. I may not be where I want to be eventually, but I feel like I've made an important step in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Next step, sit them down and talk about peak oil, global warming, population overshoot, and ZOMBIE HORDES :)

    ReplyDelete