Saturday, August 7, 2010

Concerning Veggies



En route home from camp, Mister and I stopped at my mother's house. Luckily for me, my mother has actually been gardening this year, instead of pretending and hoping! We picked 17 lbs. of cukes, a little under a pound of beans, 3 plum tomatoes, 2 summer squash and two baggies of herbs (Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, and Lemon Balm).



We'll probably eat the beans, Mister'll eat the tomatoes, we'll eat the squash, and I'd like to try two preservation things: pickles, and lemon balm cordial-type-thing. According to a quick (and I do mean quick) search for pickle recipes, I could put up approximately 30 quarts of pickles with what I've got... and man does that seem like a lot! I'll probably make a bunch of refridgerator pickles too -- that's my favorite way to eat pickles. Quick recipe:

Easy-Peasy 30 Min. Refridgerator Pickles

Slice cucumbers into thin slices (~1/2 cm or so). Chop a small onion into pieces at most 1" long. Combine cukes and onion and cover with white vinegar until submerged. Put in fridge for 30 mins. before serving.

For the summer squash I was thinking about trying a recipe for fried squash slices. Slice, batter and fry. Not sure what I'd serve it with, but I'm always a fan of fried foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment