Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Curry



So, R, as promised, here is the post on Indian food!

We had had a pumpkin at work. I drew a cute face on him, and had a sign next to him that said "Ask me about pumpkin ice cream!" Well, a couple of days ago, I noticed that he was falling in on himself at the top. (I had previously noted that the stem was turning purple with mold :-\) So, at the recommendation of a coworker who clearly thinks faster than I, I chopped the pumpkin in half, and cubed the usable parts of him. This sat in my fridge for a few days.

Last night, I was to have a cards night, and I had every intention of cooking that pumpkin. But cards night got cancelled (Mister and I have had a few late nights in a row, and weren't up to hosting), and I made pumpkin curry for a comfy night in.

Ingredients:
pumpkin
onion
shallot
olive oil
coconut milk
chicken stock
carrots
parsnip
spices

The pumpkin was already cubed, so I just cut off the rind. While I had the knife out, I also chopped a red onion, and a shallot. Heating olive oil in a large frying pan, when it was hot, I threw in the onion and cooked until the onions were translucent. At that point, I threw in the pumpkin. I fried the pumpkin for probably close to 20 mins, turning regularly with a spatula. Some of the pieces got the most beautiful caramelizing on them.

When the pumpkin was fried to my liking, I poured in the contents of a can of light coconut milk, probably 3 c. of chicken stock, the shallots, chopped carrots and parsnips, and my spices. I used two bay leaves, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper. I let this reach a boil, then let simmer (with a lid) until the veggies were cooked through -- perhaps an hour and a half (I took a nap and let Mister handle it from there :-P).

When the veggies were the proper consistency, I made a pot of rice, and we served the curry over rice. It was very tasty.

2 comments:

  1. might be tasty but has NOTHING Indian to it. In fact, it sounds like something the Thai would cook up. You need to see Alton Brown's episode called "CURIOUS CASE OF CURRY" to understand both INDIAN food and Curry better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (*shrugs) oh well. I have a loose grasp on most cooking styles, and merely called it Indian because it was similar in the spices that I'd used with Rimi, and she'd been talking about a pumpkin curry a while back. But yeah, I made the whole damn thing up! :-P

    ReplyDelete