Sunday, August 28, 2011

Photos of Food

So I had a bunch of pictures on the camera of food that I've made recently, so here's a nice big post of them!



The shepherd's pie that I made for dinner on Friday, using leftover beef from the chili Thursday.




A close-up of the layers in the shepherd's pie. Ground beef, then frozen corn and peas, then mashed potatoes -- all baked until golden brown.




Making Vanilla Rhubarb Compote in order to make a rhubarb pie. I'm using chopped, frozen rhubarb.




After stewing and cooking down the 1.5 lbs of rhubarb (minus one cup or so), sugar, molasses and vanilla to a smooth texture.




After taking the compote off the heat, I stirred in the remaining cup or so of frozen rhubarb -- as it was frozen, I tried to submerge it in the compote and left it overnight.




Making awesome pie crust using the magic technique of grating frozen butter rather than using a pastry cutter.




I forgot to take a picture of the bottom crust, the layer of crushed corn flakes (to absorb excess moisture), and the filling added. But here's the top crust prior to trimming and crimping.




Crimped and with vents sliced in. I always tuck the top crust between the bottom crust and the pie pan, to ensure that it doesn't leak, and then crimp it between my fingers to seal.




All baked!




I also made "cookies" using the excess pie crust and cinnamon sugar -- the best part of baking!

2 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmm pie crust cookies ...........

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked them much better than the pie! I gave T like 30 seconds to get into the kitchen to have some, and then I grabbed the drying rack and hid in the living room to eat them all. (I think he ate 3.)

    ReplyDelete