Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chocolate FAIL

My company is having a party this Saturday, celebrating Valentine's Day. Due to beautiful work politics, the person who decided the snacks chose such fun items as Hershey's Kisses. For a company that supposedly cares about ethics and supporting green, sustainable and ethical companies, this is a big no-no.

Half of the WORLD'S supply of cacao and most of the US's eating chocolate comes from West African child workers. This is not a cool practice to support! Also, as of 2008, Hershey's refomulated many of their chocolate products to NOT USE COCOA BUTTER. Using vegetable oil instead. Hershey (and other companies such as Nestle) have also been lobbying to be allowed to use hydrogenated oils in their products.

I REALLY REALLY want to find some link to animal testing or animal abuse, because that is the ONE THING that my company will literally drop everything for. But on a surface search, I can't find one. Aha, apparently Hershey's pledged not to condone animal testing, but Mars and Nestle still do. I have no confirmation of what they're testing, only that they do.

Why can't we just make vegan cookies? Easy peasy, and you KNOW WHAT IS IN THEM. Oh I so hate this saint's day and all that it entails.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about those facts. So glad I don't like chocolate anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all that the girl who's making the purchasing decision got out of that information? 'So Hershey's is the good one?' Sorta, girl. But not really. :-\

    ReplyDelete