Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rose Hips

The rose hips near my work are back in season -- I need to go pick more within the next couple of days as well. I currently have about 1 month's supply of rose hips, and made rose hip syrup as well.



This was a 10-mins effort on my part, and it resulted in 1 month's worth of rosehips. Due to the amount that I had, I wound up working them in three batches.



This is 1/3 of what I picked, ready to go in the oven to dry.



As I cut the rose hips in half, and remove the seeds prior to drying, above is the amount of waste from 1/3 of the rosehips.



Sadly, the first batch was overbaked due to an oversight on my part (the oven was too warm at one point as I had made pizza). What's amusing about this batch is that they puffed up in a strange way. They look more like nuts (hollow, puffy nuts), than like a dried fruit-like substance.



Here are batches 1 and 2 combined. Look at the difference in colors!

As I was too lazy and busy to complete the third batch in this manner, I wound up making rose hip syrup with the final third.



Here they are boiling -- add just enough water to cover the fresh rose hips (mine were a WEE bit dried). Boil for 10-15 mins, then strain the rose hips out and add honey in a 2:1 ratio, rose hip water to honey.



There's the small amount of syrup that I have. I have the suspicion that it will taste better with some warm spices, but we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment