Friday, December 10, 2010

Crazy Squash Cookies

So I wanted to make cookies similar to these, but I don't have eggs (the grocery store has been out of my brand for weeks). Not to mention, I wanted to use some of the Carnival Squash puree that was sitting in my fridge. Not to mention, I had an epiphany last night of squash puree + confectioner's sugar = filling for sandwich cookies. So something needed to get made.

After searching the internets for egg-free cookies, and having a pretty good idea of what cookies should look like, I started throwing stuff together. I apologize if you are a specific measurement kind of baker, I am not when it comes to making it up -- so all of these measurements are estimates after the fact.

Ingredients
COOKIES
-- 3/4 c. oil of choice (butter, ghee, shortening, olive oil, etc.)
-- 3/4 c. squash puree
-- 1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar
-- 1/3 - 1/2 c. milk
-- 1 1/3 c. almond meal
-- 1 1/3 c. unbleached white flour
-- cinnamon
-- mace
-- ginger
-- nutmeg
-- allspice
-- chocolate chips

FILLING
-- 1/3 c. squash puree
-- 1/2 - 3/4 c. confectioner's sugar
-- scant 1/4 c. starch (potato, rice, tapioca, etc.)
-- same spices as in cookies

For the cookies, preheat your oven to 350F.

Mix the wet ingredients. Add the sugar. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet little by little, adding more moisture if necessary (either oil or milk). Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake on a greased cookie sheet 15-20 mins (it took mine exactly 18 mins). When done, take the tray out of the oven, take your spatula and smush the cookie a bit on the tray before placing on a cooling rack.

While waiting for them to cool/popping your next batch in the oven, start making the filling. Mix all of the ingredients together in an oven-proof bowl, and let sit in the oven for 30-40 mins. When taken out, it should be the consistency of apple butter.



I think I've invented Squash Butter...


After all components have cooled, assemble them! Makes 60 cookies, or 30 sandwiches.



Cute little cookies!

2 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that you list oil of choice. I've always baked with whatever oil, preferably not sunflower or olive because I could swear I'd taste them in my cooking, and I recently went to a restaurant where everything was cooked or prepared with olive oil, from the starters to the ice cream, and everything was excellent. A different kind of olive oil for each dish. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I list oil of choice because I had intended upon using butter, but couldn't be bothered to wait until it softened, so used ghee, with a dash of olive oil towards the end for some moisture. :-P

    Olive oil in ice cream... hmm I'll have to investigate that...

    ReplyDelete