Friday, December 17, 2010

Lunch!

So I'm a fan of not wasting food, and eating random things. As yesterday, Mister and I went to a nearby store and picked up day-old bread and some brie to eat it with, yet left a good 4" of the baguette for this morning... I had to do something about this!

Taking a cue from this recipe for Ribollita, which involves cooking soup, throwing stale bread in it, and having the bread break down -- I put about a cup of water with a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon Beef in a pot, threw in the chopped bread and about 1/2 c. frozen corn. I let it cook down for quite a while (probably 40 mins. or so?) until the bread was falling apart.

Taking a cue from Shepherd's Pie at this point, I then turned my oven on to 350F, poured the thick soup into a casserole dish and topped it with mozzarella. I let this cook for about 20 mins, and broiled it for about 3 mins to get some color on the cheese. As this was still quite watery at this point, I let it sit in the oven (which is now off) for another 5-10 mins.

And look at how tasty it looks!



Although a little salty (thanks Better Than Bouillon...), it is quite delicious as well. Yay for random creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment